Monday, August 31, 2009

Let Me Take You to the Max...

Saturday August 29, 2009 @ Nokia Theater in NYC Times Square. I went to see Q-Tip, Mark Ronson and DJ Spinna, in a tribute concert to celebrate Michael Jackson, on what would have been his 51st birthday.
It was pretty nuts - three djs, many MJ fans dressed up in his iconic looks (most prevalent was Billie Jean). Basically the 2500 person capacity theater turned into a giant sweaty dance party.
Q-Tip getting down and Mark Ronson flexing his muscles. Ronson had made the 'I heart AM' shirt, and spun a set of songs specially completed that day for DJ AM.
Q-Tip mixed it up. Old Jackson 5, 80s Michael and even threw in some Janet. And rapped his verse on 'Got Til it's Gone'. And I was pretty impressed that Mark Ronson mixed in beginning riff from The Strokes 'Someday' with some MJ seamlessly.
Q-Tip also was like the head dancer. He was seriously unafraid to bust out some crazy moves. Old school Jackson 5 hand rolls, some Michael Jackson hip moves. He even at one point led the entire crowd in the electric slide. I was surprised that many people in the crowd were completely unaware of the moves that comprise the electric slide. I guess they never went to a sweet 16 party.
Instead of rocking out to the air guitar, Mark Ronson broke out his air trombone and Q-Tip found his air trumpet. I must say the two dudes danced and it was v v cute.
Grandmaster Flash showed up, in between Mark Ronson and DJ Spinna. And so did Angie Martinez. And DJ Premier. And Anthony Anderson. And Quincy Jones called in on Mark Ronson's cell phone and had a convo with the crowd.
And this girl. Marsha Ambrosius. I didn't know who she was, but man could she sing. Turns out she is a songwriter and wrote a song about MJ, and has sung on some tracks with Nas and Common amongst others. And she will have a solo album soon. Watch out.
Then Q-Tip hopped off the stage and into the crowd. He was like right there! And I touched his back. And then I was raising my hand up, dancing to the music and I touched a hand and instinctively drew it back. Turns out it was his. Oops.

Q-Tip then pulled a bunch of rando girls up on stage, Mark Ronson had disappeared, I sweat all the make-up off and was ready for a pitcher of water. Friends I showed up with were no longer there - some were pooped, sat in the chairs and lost their steam, some got separated in the crowd and headed out earlier since they had to work the next day. I experienced a good chunk of the concert on my own, but man was it a good time. It was almost 4am and it was time to hit the city lights. xx

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Marsha Ambrosius

...is signed to Aftermath Records.

...was half of Floetry.

...wrote Butterflies, from MJ's Invincible.