Monday, August 31, 2009

You taste just like glitter...

Ok, so I caved a little early this year on the Barneys Warehouse Sale. But in my defense there were special circumstances - an extra 40% off of discount prices for all women's designer clothes and shoes started early!
After trying on a sick pair of Givenchy peep toe zip front booties, and getting both sides of shoes in my hand (no small feat), I threw them back to the ocean and walked away.
And I am glad I did.
I came back the next day, last Friday, and spent my afternoon digging through the racks. After trying on a bunch of stuff. Marni ruffled poplin top (wrong color), green metallic Lanvin heels (these were so sick but hard to wear in real life), Louboutins (suede MaryJanes - nice but slingback, too tough to walk in), a bunch of denim, and some random Dries pieces, it came down to the final heavyweight bout. Marni black open toe knee high boots from the Fall 08 runway vs a Dries Van Noten sequined cross back, backless apron top (although I have no intention to wear it bare and backless).
I loved the Dries Spring 09 show - stunning and easy to translate into real life. And when I saw the collection in the stores, I remember drooling over the sequined pieces.
And as for the Fall 08 Marni show, I have the lookbook hanging over my desk, and I can always use a good pair of black boots!
After some deliberation and a few phone calls, I went with the Dries. Actually the tipping point was when I walked 5 steps in the Marni boots and the inside stitching was rubbing against my baby toe.
And am so happy with my decision. The top is entirely hand stitched - ribbons (4 different types of ribbon), 4mm and 6mm sequins (flat, cup, and faceted shapes for 6 different types of sequins), bugle beads, round beads, white grosgrain straps and a silk charmeuse lining. My favorite part of the top besides the price (normally $1400, I got it for $251, 82% off!) is the play on matte and shine and the texture.
The darker matte flowers in the picture below are actually multiple 4mm flat sequins stacked on their side and threaded through, then stitched to form the flower petals. Beads are sewn on sequins to create mini-flowers. Bugle beads are stacked and threaded in loops to add dimension. It is an amazing layout and fantastic handwork - it made it through a season on the selling floor, plus the crazy wilderness of the warehouse sale, without losing any beads. Click on the pic below for the zoom in.
I was worried that it is too precious and special to wear often, but I thought about it. Why waste it just chilling in the closet? So I wore it today - to work - over a white Hanes V-neck tee and ripped boyfriend jeans. It was fun to wear something pretty fancy, really dressed down on just a plain old regular day. I highly recommend it to kick off your week. xx

No comments: