Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Why you all in my ear, talking a whole bunch a sh*t I ain't trying to hear?

For three months I have been living the life of a platinum blonde. The one constant question I keep getting asked is 'Do blondes really have more fun?' - it was cute the first time I heard it - after three months of being blonde, it is officially old. So here is my definitive response. I don't know if blondes have more fun since I try to maximize the fun quotient in my life no matter the hair color. But what I do know is that the blonde brings out the crazy.
Some reason people think that I can and have to listen to their judgement on my actions - why I went blonde, what they think of the color...here is a tally of some of my experiences both good and bad:

-Two on street marriage proposals from random passersby.
One happened while I was wearing sunglasses which covered most of my face, in front of my apartment and had to walk an extra block to avoid letting the crazy know where I live.
-Supportive family and friends - who were kind enough to be awesome (at least to my face!)
-A man I work with telling me everyday he sees me that he hates the color and it makes my face look even fatter
-A random man asking me 'hey blondie - where's dagwood?' on the street. Had my first 'blonde' moment when I thought Dagwood was a street in lower Manhattan.
-Multiple people telling me I was brave for doing it.
This was usually followed up by a backhanded compliment like. Choose your favorite 'I could never do that', 'I like it, but it's not quite there yet' or the best was said on my first day of being blonde 'maybe you should go red instead'
-A man on the subway who decided to shout to the entire subway 'A blonde Chinee girl. That ain't right. That shouldn't even be legal. uh uh.' He then went into a tirade about how Chinese people eat sewer rats as a delicacy. So many things wrong with the statement, including but completely not limited to the fact that I am not Chinese.
-Random people feeling the need to touch my hair. Not okay.
-People assuming that I went blonde to be more 'White' or to get more attention.
-Being told that my best asset was my black hair. And that I am going to ruin it with the bleaching. See below pic for a before shot.
It has been a really entertaining de facto social experiment. Everyone has a comment - from the workers at the places I grab my to go lunch, to rando people on the street, friends and co-workers. And to be honest it is getting really tiring - for the first time since May, I am really glad I decided to do this just for the summer. I know the reasons why I did it - for fun, a new challenge, a new look, curiosity to try something I never did before. It doesn't go deeper than that. I know I don't have to justify my reasoning, but I do want to say one thing. For the haters who think that I went blonde to be more white - I have never wished that in my life - and why not flip the script? Who says that bottle Blondes should only be White?

To be honest, I think Luda sums it up best 'GET BACK GET BACK, YOU DON'T KNOW ME LIKE THAT!' xx

No comments: